Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Mind and Body

The secret of health for both mind and body is not to mourn for the past, nor to worry about the future, but to live the present moment wisely and earnestly.

About 9 years ago, I was admitted to the hospital via emergency due to a heavy asthma attack. I was lucky as my brother was near my house when he received the emergency call to come and drive me to the hospital. When my brother arrived, I was totally out of energy and my breathing became very shallow. He drove me to the hospital. I was carried onto a stretcher and into the emergency room.

At that point of time, my chances of surviving was 50/50. My heart beat was above 110 per minute and could led to cardiac arrest at any time. The doctor and nurses were very professional. They continuously told me that I will be alright and I was safe in their hand. My mind kept wandering seeing things that may not be there. Small bright lights appeared from a distance. My mind shifted me to the future. I could see my entire life. It was a very unique experience.

Whilst my mind shifted back and forth I suddenly recalled my master's teaching on mediation. He says the mind controls the body and thus we should concentrate on the present moment. I close my eyes and practiced mediation technique taught by master. Gradually, I became more relax and my breathing became easier (The relieve could have been brought by effect of the medicine). My heart beat slowed down and became normal again.

Eventually after 3 days of treatment and rest at the hospital I was discharged. A new life and journey begin. It is a journey where I make effort to be more compassion, subdue my anger, and to love and be kind to all creatures. Most important to love the people around me and hopefully to bring joy to them

I am forever indebted to my brother, David Lee, the hospital staff at Sunway Hospital, and my lovely wife (Kwee Peng) who stayed overnight with me at the hospital. She was so stressed and worried that she developed difficulty in breathing herself. :-)

No comments: